What I would do for a tamale right now!
Many cultures have special foods for the New Year.
Growing up, our New Years food could be whatever we could eat while spending the day watching college football. Others, however, have more specific requests:
- Argentina – Beans
- Austria – Suckling pig
- France – Goose or turkey, oysters and champagne
- Germany – Pfannkuchens (jelly filled doughnuts)
- Italy – A savory pork sausage and lentils
- Japan – Buckwheat noodles
- Mexico and Spain – Grapes
- Phillippines – Round foods
Even within the United States there are traditions:
- South – Greens and black-eyed peas
- Midwest – Pork and sauerkraut
- Southwest – Tamales
This year I decided to make tamales. I made them on 12/31 and we had a few just so I could get this post up for the new year.
Make sure you get masa harina and not just regular corn meal. I had red salsa in the picture but found the…
View original post 669 more words